Re: How's everybody doing?
gardenchat@hort.net
  • Subject: Re: How's everybody doing?
  • From: Catharine Carpenter <cathycrc@comcast.net>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2013 10:06:30 -0600

So great to hear from you all! Busy year, with me traveling at all the wrong times to keep up with the garden. Aggressive weeds that I am still trying to get under control, even in my vegetable garden (I hate foxtail grass!). Dry summer, but we got our usual spring and fall rains. A cactus I have had for 10+ years flowered for me this summer. Though the bloom only lasted a couple days, I was ecstatic. All my houseplants that enjoy the summer outdoors have been dragged in... now I am battling spider mites on the bananas. Gave up putting the orchids outside after dealing with scale every year. Stupid deer discovered my daylilies this year... ate every bud off before they could bloom. Hope they have short memories. Just finished planting 50 daffodils and 50 small tulips. I do a monthly call in radio show representing our local Extension, and because I was the only MG willing to get up at the crack of dawn, I did a weekly spot featuring a small raised bed vegetable garden at one of our local TV stations. I think we convinced the station that next year some of the spots can be taped, so more MG can get involved. My daughter and her family moved from AK to Tucson, AZ this summer. It is a beautiful state, but not what I am used to. If any of you get out there, be sure to check out the Desert Museum, west of the city, next to Sahuaro National Park West. Not to be missed!
Lets not be strangers... would love to hear from all on a regular basis!
Cathy, west central IL, z5b