Re: situation here

  • To: gardenchat@hort.net
  • Subject: Re: [CHAT] situation here
  • From: cathy carpenter cathyc@rnet.com
  • Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2003 14:39:03 -0500

Ditto - I've planted here well into October.
Cathy
On Wednesday, October 1, 2003, at 09:33 AM, kmrsy@comcast.net wrote:

Donna,
I'm with Ceres on this one. It is not too late for trees. Give it an
extra generous hole, water well, and a winter mulch December - March.
Should be fine. Again this is an issue of soil temp, not air temp. And
something sizable like a tree doesn't usually experience winter heaving
like small perennials. Better to put it in now than spring.

Kitty
Donna, it is not to late. Some nurseries prefer to plant after the plants
have gone dormant however this is not true with conifers. You have had plenty
of moisture which will be in favor of the birch but in our area I would be
concerned of lack of moisture. Select a location and enjoy it!
Ceres