RE: now croscosmia

And if anyone lives in CA and wants some, I'd be happy to send them some
since I'm already in the state.

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net]On
Behalf Of Marge Talt
Sent: Friday, October 03, 2003 12:42 AM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] strange gardening year now croscosmia

> From: Ray & Nora Edwards <raynora.edwards@worldnet.att.net>
> Speaking of strange gardening . The croscosmia are about ready to
dig ( for
> those of you who wanted some. Now the question is with plant police
and all
> what is the best way to send these out? Ideas????

Nora, there's no problem sending these bulbs within the US, except,
possibly to CA who have very strict plant moving laws because of the
danger of Med fruit flies and other ag. pests, as I understand it.
Don't think they monitor mail, but do know they have some checkpoints
at the borders of the state - at least I've heard that.  If you are
concerned, you can probably find a list of prohibited plants on some
California gov't. site or other somewhere on the web:-)  I think
there are some other states that have rules about plants having to be
sent bare root or something - the list of states that a lot of
nurseries won't ship to because they are such a pain to deal with.

  Personally, I prefer Priority Mail for small packages of plants as
it gets there fast and is least expensive of the alternatives for 3
day delivery.

As far as I am aware, at this time, it is only illegal to send listed
noxious weeds around and those are listed on the USDA web site -
basically agricultural weeds, plant police idiocy notwithstanding.

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
All Suite101.com garden topics :