Re: what does your garden grow/seed

In a message dated 10/03/2003 12:24:37 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
kmrsy@comcast.net writes:

> perennial foxglove seed.
> I've never found the name in any reference book the same way that T&M
> printed it on the package. but the species began with an 'm', so perhaps
> it's mertonensis. Anyway, it's definitely perennial, not biennial.

I have a perennial foxglove that is sometimes listed as Digitalis ambigua -
sometimes has another species name.  It is a true perennial that will grow in
partial sun to deep shade, seems fairly drought-resistant, and the deer don't
touch it.  What more can one ask?  It isn't especially showy - the bloom spikes
are about 2 feet tall, curling over at the tip.  The blooms are creamy beige
with brown spots in the throats.  Not very showy, but they line up around the
boulders and through the woods and look like rows of candles.  I love them.
It has been so damp this year that seed production doesn't seem too good, but
if anyone is interested next year I'd be glad to share.