From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On Behalf
Of Kitty
Sent: Friday, October 03, 2003 8:14 PM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Internet weather forecasts

>>What is the difference between frost and
>> freeze, and why the discrepancy?

I can't say for sure, hopefully someone else will chime in.  Below are a few
definitions I found, one of which indicates they are the same, but the
others seem to say there is some technicality separating the two.  To me it
seems like there can be a freeze with no frost depending on the amount of
moisture in the air.  I've also included a few definitons of kinds of

Freeze - weather cold enough to cause freezing syn: frost

The covering of ice crystals that forms by direct sublimation on exposed
surfaces whose temperature is below freezing.

The process of changing a liquid to a solid. The temperature at which a
liquid solidifies under any given set of conditions. Pure water under
atmospheric pressure freezes at 00?C or 320?F. It is the opposite of fusion.

Frost - The state or temperature of the air which occasions
      congelation, or the freezing of water; severe cold or
      freezing weather

Frozen dew -- called also hoarfrost or white frost

Black frost, - cold so intense as to freeze vegetation and
      cause it to turn black, without the formation of hoarfrost

Frost smoke  - an appearance resembling smoke, caused by
      congelation of vapor in the atmosphere in time of severe

Frost - Water vapour which deposits directly as a solid on a surface colder
than the surrounding air and which has a temperature below freezing. It is
not frozen dew. A Killing Frost is a frost severe enough to end the growing

Frost: The deposition of ice crystals on a surface directly from the water
vapour in the atmosphere. The process is similar to dew formation except
that the temperature of the object must be below freezing, the frost point.