Re: Internet weather forecasts

on 10/4/03 10:32 AM, Bonnie & Bill Morgan wrote:

> when there is a wind, frost will not form.

In CA. when I had to watch for frost for our azalea crop, we kept an eye out
for wind, breezes, clouding. That's where the orange groves got into wind
machines. A lot depended on dew point also. The more moisture you had the
less damage. Anything that freezes gives off heat. When the heat is gone,
freeze. If too much moisture, ie, watering to much will force all the heat
from the ground. On the other hand, when it's extremely dry, the frost does
it's worst damage by freezing the moisture in the plant hence splitting
occurs. This I have experienced. Being on low ground is colder. The cold air
being heavier will settle into low pockets. Also the duration of the freeze
determines amount of damage.  Ex: If freeze comes in at 3 -4 a.m. it's less
likely to have severe damage. But if it hits around midnight or earlier,
there will be prolonged damage.
Avocado growers try to plant on the higher elevations because the cold air
flows down & doesn't have much chance to settle on the trees. Lemons are
more tender than oranges. Growers try to plant them in least frost areas.

Tony Veca  <><
Another Gr888 Day in Paradise !!!!!
Vancouver, WA  USA