Re: Frost

I'd love to, but time is short and I'm often overwhelmed.

Organic gardening at it's simplest means avoiding chemical (some read highly
processed) inputs. The principle tenet is to build the soil so as to have
healthy plants. The plants then are more resistant to insects and disease.
If/when disease or insects invade, try to manage them by changing the
environment instead of resorting to chemicals.

For example, if your plants  have a fungus disease, removing infected
foliage and flowers, increasing air circulation, watering only when
necessary, preferably watering the soil, not the foliage, and/or timing it
so that the plants dry quickly is 90 percent of the battle. Sometimes,
removing plants and replacing with disease tolerant plants is also

Many insects have their own enemies, if we'd only leave them alone to do
battle. We often spray or otherwise kill off the beneficials because we're
impatient, or don't recognize how many friends we have that are working in
the background.

I have a largish quibble with companies that sell lots of "organic"
controls. The best control is usually good management, not throwing another
substance at them.

As for making every mistake possible in the landscape, I probably hold the
prize. I was a "design by shovel" gardener for years. Because of that, I'm a
better designer. I know most of the traps.