A glorious weekend

Dear all: Well, the weather crazies continue here in Iowa...last week we
had lows of 20's and highs of 40's, this weekend it was lows in the 40
with highs in the 70's, and this coming week we are expected to have
three or four days of lows in the 50's and highs in the 80's...oh, well,
that is fall in Iowa. But I couldn't have asked for a lovelier weekend
to spend in my garden...my husband and I put in some really long 8 to 10
hour days both Saturday and Sunday, digging and dividing perrenials and
rearranging beds, installing some landscape edging, mulching everything
in sight, and digging out about four walnut trees and about a dozen
redbuds...oh, the roots on those darned blasted things...We got about
half the garden beds completely ready for winter and with the nice
weather this coming week, should be able to finish up simply pruning and
neatening up the other beds. No more digging/dividing/replanting unless
next weekend's forecast for rain doesn't happen but I'm hoping it will.
The ground was very dry wherever we dug. We have left our largest garden
bed alone as it is slated for total demolition in the spring...we plan
to leave only the peonies, the cherry tree, and the redbud in place and
everything is going to be ripped out right down to and including the
landscaping cloth...it is a bed where I mistakenly planted a couple of
peppermint and spearmint plants that have taken over the world!!!!!! and
I'm really tired of looking at it...what a nice prospect for the coming
winter, planning that new bed is sure to keep me entertained. Have a
nice week, everyone, wherever you are.

Melody, IA (Z 5/4)

--Albert Einstein