From: "Daryl" <pulis@mindspring.com>
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Subject: Re: [CHAT] PETA and "snowball"
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2003 08:54:14 -0400

Good for you for adopting. I hope the new meds will make him well soon.

"Our" Snowball was also from a chicken truck. One of the women from the main
PETA office was in Georgia and found Snowball under a Con-Agra truck at a
processing plant. Since she looked sick, she asked if she could take her and
was told yes. She found a vet who would treat the bird for dehydration, then
kept her in her room at the Days Inn until the local rescue grapevine sent
her in my direction.
Friendly bird, but they're so genetically changed that she didn't live very
long - only a couple of years compared to my other guys who sometimes reach
10. We tried special low calorie feeds and lots of exercise (free range),
but her heart just wasn't able to keep up. I'm not sure that that wasn't a
blessing though, since she was having trouble w/arthritic changes in her
hips.

Daryl