From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On Behalf
Of Bonnie Holmes
Sent: Sunday, October 05, 2003 10:46 AM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: RE: [CHAT] strange gardening year

By feeding them so well, aren't you increasing their numbers?  Our mast is
so heavy this year that we will probably have a large new population next
spring.  A few weeks ago, the squirrels chewed through the fiber optic
cable...TV and those using cable TV and its faster internet service were
out of luck for two days.  The company had to order a special metal cover
to keep them out...this was the second time, the squirrels had chewed
through.

Bonnie Zone 6+ ETN

On
> these occasions, we have neat small shocks of corn to put up for
Halloween.
> I look at it as a "win"/"win" situation for me and the critters.  :>D
>
> I have found over the years that feeding the squirrels keeps them out of
the
> house and the attic.  With all the trees, they don't lack for shelter
> either, so they become "entertainment" when they eat the corn, apples and
> whatever else I can find, out on the front porch.  Now that I can grow
> tulips (through chicken wire baskets) I really can enjoy the squirrels
> energy and antics.  And now that our walnut trees have begun to bear nuts,
> they are feeding themselves more too.  I imagine I'll have some walnut
> seedlings before long.  My dad's yard started with only one small walnut
> tree and ended with a small walnut forest!  I don't mind at all.  I guess
> dad rubbed off on me with his "live and let live" approach to gardening.
He
> always planted extra just for the critters that would get into his garden.
>
> Blessings,
>
> Bonnie

Behalf