Re: insect contro/giant whitefly

Interesting article Marge.  As you know I'm not in the San Diego area or
other areas affected by G.W.  However, I will pass this along to my
provider of liners.  I would think it would be of some value to him.  As
it pertains to our discussion I found it interesting that they are
experimenting with bringing biological controls up from Mexico.  Reminds
me of that age old story where you have to bring in other animals to
control the ones you brought in before in a procession that finally ends
up back where you started.  Who knows what will happen to native species
of insects when non-natives are introduced.  I suppose in a strange way
this is what happens when non native plants are introduced.  You get the
flotsom that accompanies them albeit slowly.  Mother nature always finds
a way doesn't she?

One of the controls for G.W. is washing off the affected leaves.  If you
look at my web site that is exactly what I recommend for the homeowner
as well as a first line defense.  On the other hand for those growing
thousands of ornamentals in a greenhouse the answer is obviously not so
easy.  This is a subject you and I have discussed before.  With the
consumers wish for virtually perfect looking plants it's difficult not
to take the chemical approach.

Nice to hear from you as well Marge.  Hope all is well with you and Clark.

DF