Re: heather was: soil types and pH

> From: Aplfgcnys@aol.com
> Marge, I've grown Bergenia for years in a shady spot. It grows
pretty well,
> even spreads a bit, but rarely ever blooms - maybe only every other
year.  I
> keep it because the foliage is great for flower arrangements.  I
gave a piece to
> a friend who thought it wouldn't do for her because she had no
shade - her's
> blooms constantly.  Guess it needs sun.  Auralie

Auralie, they grow well in sun or shade in the UK.  I am convinced
the problem here is the hot, humid summer night syndrome that many
plants who prefer cool nights - or at least nights that aren't jungle
humid - simply can't stand.  Some plants don't mind it; some love
humidity with heat and some simply smother to death in it.  Bergenia
seems to be one of the latter.  I know Tony Avent has said he's
killed hundreds of them for this reason and my observations (and
mortality) bear this out.  I have had bloom, but the plants just fade
away over a couple three seasons.  The one I have now came from Tony
and is supposed to be able to take the heat.  We shall see.  I would
not call this a robust specimen at this point, but it still lives,
which, in my garden, is something for this species.

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
All Suite101.com garden topics :