From: "Libby Valentine" <L_Valentine@adelphia.net>
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Subject: [CHAT] Re: hi again
Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2003 11:46:54 -0400

Hi everybody,

I'm finally back - even have my very own email account now (I know it
doesn't seem like much but I've only had work email prior to this, and a
yahoo account for temporary connection but it doesn't have much space - hey,
for free what more could I ask?). And my husband decided to go for the
cable modem a few weeks ago which I have to admit is great - the connection
speed is very nice.

Summer has just whizzed by. How did it get to be October? (let alone
2003...) We've had an incredible amount of rain all summer, after 9 years
of drought, so it's been interesting to see what is thriving with the
moisture and what really prefers it drier. The lawn never went dormant at
all. I finished planting half of my new bed (on a slope I thought was
dangerous to mow): newspaper-and-mulched it and put in some different kinds
of salvias and other plants for the butterflies and hummingbirds, and also 3
sapphireberries, which came up on this list probably 3 years ago. Took me
that long to find them. I will look up the true names and write again, but
I am really excited to be back so I want to send this now!! I had an oval
bed with a goumi, a russian mt. ash, and a pussy willow in it, plus various
perennials, and I made that the small side of the trapezoid and connected it
to 2 little cleveland pears (I know, I know, but at least they're not
Bradfords) above and outside the corners of the oval bed, so it's all one
bed now. I still have about 1/3 to plan and plant, but I am happy to have
accomplished what I did.

Right here the most damage from Isabel was 4 of the 7 large Bradford pears
lining our across-the-street neighbor's driveway came down - 3 snapped, one
uprooted - gave the whole neighborhood something to do the next day, when
there was still warm water left in the water heater for showers after! Lost
several relatively young willows in the neighborhood, and then there were a
number of big trees down on some of the wooded roads in the area. All in
all, very fortunate.

Question on vines for you all - I planted a hops vine (humulus) and it's
growing very well when the deer don't browse it. I planted it at the base
of an arch (to which someone here pointed me last year, from Lee Valley
Tools - whoever it was, thanks!), and it has grown up to the top of the arch
nicely, but it also keeps trying to spread, well, wherever it can, including
into midair. Is there a trick to training vines or is it simple persistence
of bringing back the errant tendrils and wrapping them on the arbor? Also,
do I cut this back?

My mom gave me a heather collection (6 varieties) from White Flower Farm
this summer. They are all still very small, but I'm hoping most of them
will survive the winter and then I'll have some input on what will survive a
normal summer here. If there is such a thing!

Jesse, I am so glad to hear Fizick has rejoined the ranks. I told my three
about him and they've all been sending good kitty wishes his way.

Thank you all for being out there, this is a wonderful community and I am
glad to be back as a hopefully more active part of it again.

Libby

Maryland zone 6