Re: Re: claws

----- Original Message -----
From: <Aplfgcnys@aol.com>
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Thursday, October 09, 2003 8:55 AM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Re: claws

Generally I enjoy the wildlife.  I
> think it's astonishing to think about all the life going on around us that
we
> are barely aware of.  But I don't enjoy having the coyotes.  In my mind
they
> are invasive aliens, just like some plants.  Maybe they were native to
this
> area once, but certainly not for a couple of centuries.  I really think of
them
> as belonging in the West - but  what do I know?  Auralie

Auralie,
        It is my understanding that the coyotes at one time were limited to
the Plains. However, with the expatriation (extermination) of the Wolf, the
coyotes' population exploded with the removal of this TOp Dog. In
Yellowstone, where the wolves have been reintroduced, the coyotes population
has been reduced by 50% in some areas, and the red fox numbers have
increased.

Betsy
Evergreen Co