Re: Re: claws

In a message dated 10/12/2003 2:48:32 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
bkelson@ix.netcom.com writes:

>  It is my understanding that the coyotes at one time were limited to
> the Plains. However, with the expatriation (extermination) of the Wolf, the
> coyotes' population exploded with the removal of this TOp Dog. In
> Yellowstone, where the wolves have been reintroduced, the coyotes population
> has been reduced by 50% in some areas, and the red fox numbers have
> increased.

Betsy, can you imagine the reaction to reintroducing wolves into Westchester
County, NY, of all places!  There is a wolf center in the northeast corner of
the county, but these are very well contained for study only.  A few years ago
a small black bear swam across the river from Bear Mountain.  The State
Troopers were out hunting for it. Personally, I'd rather have wolves than coyotes.
Auralie