From: Pamela J. Evans [mailto: gardenqueen@gbronline.com]
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2003 16:44:55 -0500
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Re: hi again

We're glad you're ok girl - we were wondering. I have to train my
gourd<br>vines around the arches (yes, I love them too) although two of
them have<br>escaped into the overhanging hackberry trees. Looks
interesting - will<br>have to get a picture for sure for Donna to post.
----------------------------------<br>From: "Libby Valentine"
<L_Valentine@adelphia.net><br>Reply-To: gardenchat@hort.net<br>Date:
finally back - even have my very own email account now (I know
it<br>>doesn't seem like much but I've only had work email prior to
this, and a<br>>yahoo account for temporary connection but it doesn't
have much space - hey,<br>>for free what more could I ask?). And my
husband decided to go for the<br>>cable modem a few weeks ago which I
have to admit is great - the connection<br>>speed is very
nice.<br>><br>>Summer has just whizzed by. How did it get to be October?
(let alone<br>>2003...) We've had an incredible amount of rain all
summer, after 9 years<br>>of drought, so it's been interesting to see
what is thriving with the<br>>moisture and what really prefers it drier.
The lawn never went dormant at<br>>all. I finished planting half of my
new bed (on a slope I thought was<br>>dangerous to mow):
newspaper-and-mulched it and put in some different kinds<br>>of salvias
and other plants for the butterflies and hummingbirds, and also
3<br>>sapphireberries, which came up on this list probably 3 years ago.
Took me<br>>that long to find them. I will look up the true names and
write again, but<br>>I am really excited to be back so I want to send
this now!! I had an oval<br>>bed with a goumi, a russian mt. ash, and a
pussy willow in it, plus various<br>>perennials, and I made that the
small side of the trapezoid and connected it<br>>to 2 little cleveland
pears (I know, I know, but at least they're not<br>>Bradfords) above and
outside the corners of the oval bed, so it's all o

ne<br>>bed now. I still have about 1/3 to plan and plant, but I am happy
from Isabel was 4 of the 7 large Bradford pears<br>>lining our
across-the-street neighbor's driveway came down - 3 snapped,
one<br>>uprooted - gave the whole neighborhood something to do the next
day, when<br>>there was still warm water left in the water heater for
showers after! Lost<br>>several relatively young willows in the
neighborhood, and then there were a<br>>number of big trees down on some
of the wooded roads in the area. All in<br>>all, very
fortunate.<br>><br>>Question on vines for you all - I planted a hops
vine (humulus) and it's<br>>growing very well when the deer don't browse
it. I planted it at the base<br>>of an arch (to which someone here
pointed me last year, from Lee Valley<br>>Tools - whoever it was,
thanks!), and it has grown up to the top of the arch<br>>nicely, but it
also keeps trying to spread, well, wherever it can, including<br>>into
midair. Is there a trick to training vines or is it simple
persistence<br>>of bringing back the errant tendrils and wrapping them
heather collection (6 varieties) from White Flower Farm<br>>this summer.
They are all still very small, but I'm hoping most of them<br>>will
survive the winter and then I'll have some input on what will survive
so glad to hear Fizick has rejoined the ranks. I told my three<br>>about
him and they've all been sending good kitty wishes his
way.<br>><br>>Thank you all for being out there, this is a wonderful
community and I am<br>>glad to be back as a hopefully more active part
sign-off this list, send email to majordomo@hort.net with

Evans<br>Kemp TX/zone

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com