Re: cut flower pollinators

You are correct. DH is an allergist, and wind borne pollen is the culprit in 99.9% of pollen allergies (they are inhaled). There is a remote possibility that a flower arranger might develop an allergy to heavier pollen through skin contact, but most of us would not have that kind of exposure.
Cathy
On Wednesday, October 22, 2003, at 01:40 PM, Wendy Swope wrote:

Jesse Bell, my allergist says that pollens that travel by air currents
are the ones that trouble allergy sufferers. The ones that are large
enough to require the assistance of bees, etc., to get from place to
place don't pose much allergy risk because they aren't airborne. So,
messy though they may be, sunflowers dusty with pollen(in theory,
anyway) shouldn't cause problems unless a susceptible person puts
his/her face into the flower <s>.

Wendy

-----Original Message-----
From: Jesse Bell <jesserenebell@hotmail.com>
Sent: Oct 21, 2003 4:25 PM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] cut flower pollinators

Cool site. Thanks Kitty. I just printed that off. One of the books I have
on flower farming has some of those listed. This year I grew some
"pollenless" sunflowers because they said the pollen on sunflowers is messy
and a lot of people are highly allergic to it. But they didn't turn out as
pretty (at least I don't think so). But it was a very odd gardening year
this year. I'll try again and see how they do. I like the one sunflower
called "chianti". Dark burgundy and yellow.