Re: wagons and carts

Forget walnuts, try being around a female Osage orange!
Cathy

On Monday, October 27, 2003, at 07:55 AM, Lynda Young wrote:

Ah, Pam, be glad you only have pecans to worry about raining down. In
the fringes of our woods we have walnut trees. This time of year we
have to be very careful where we work - those nuts hitting the ground
sound like hand grenades and I know they could do SERIOUS damage if one
of us got konked in the head by one. They're truly dangerous. We're
going to have to move a Japanese maple planted well away from one walnut
- a lofty limb extends far enough out that the maple has had several
branches broken by falling nuts. And to make matters worse, we aren't
even getting any edible nuts from them!

Lynda
Zone 7 - West TN

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On
Behalf Of Pamela J. Evans
Sent: Saturday, October 25, 2003 7:08 PM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: RE: [CHAT] wagons and carts

Amen Bonnie! Considering I garden 10 1/2 months a year and every day
(when it isn't raining) and do all my own lifting and toting and
whatnot, I should be a heck of a lot thinner than I am. I raked the yard
twice today and when that Norther blew in an hour or so ago, it blew so
many leaves off the trees and the roof, you can even tell I did it.
Picked up about 5000 more pecans too - green trug is half full. When the
wind picks up they come down like hail and beat the tar out of you. Good
thing I've got a hard head. This may be the last day I get to garden in
shorts. Bummer.