Cats and ferrets in gardens?

Hello! Well I just checked the news and saw this about cats and ferrets
getting SARS! I know that there's a bunch of cat people out there like
me so I'm passing this your way! As a biostatistician, I'm curious and
want to find out the route this takes between humans, cats, etc.

My cats stay inside but the dogs go in and out and the horse is stabled
elsewhere. It's bad enough to worry about west nile but now this. There
always seems to be some hidden place in the yard where water collects
and those blasted mosquitoes find it! I use those dunks and clean out my
bird baths. But how to go about the yard and protect against SARS? Oh
well "it's always something" Fran, OKC

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20031030/ap_on_he_me/sars_in_pets_7