Re: things falling from trees

In a message dated 10/29/2003 9:14:09 PM Eastern Standard Time,
gardenqueen@gbronline.com writes:

> Three pounds? Yikes, and I thought the pecans beat me up. And you can't
> >>even use the bois d'arc fruit for anything can you? At least I can send
> >>pecans to people for their holiday baking!!

They are a beautiful chartreuse color.  I fill a large silver bowl with them
and add a rich wine-red velvet bow for a Christmas table decoration.  (They
don't last long after that - rot and get smelly.)  Also, you can make odd
ornaments by slicing them in thin slices and toasting them in a moderate oven until
they curl up and turn a lovely golden brown - if you don't have anything
better to do with your time after the garden is put to bed.
We stop and pick up a bag full of them on our way back from Chincoteague each
year at Thanksgiving.  There is a place just outside of Odessa, Delaware
where there is a row of them along the road beside a housing development.  Every
year I fear they will have been cut down, but so far so good.  I take them back
to my garden club which decorates the house at Lasdon Park and Arboretum.  We
use some in the Lasdon house decorations, and members take them home for
their own trimmings.
Odd, I guess, but...