RE: Fires

Christine Petersen   Northport, Long Island, New York   Zone 7

David and all-

I'm very happy to hear that things have worked out well for you in
regards to hibiscus suppliers.  The story you sent, like so many others,
is hard to believe!  It's amazing that anything can survive such blazes!

The warm weather that we are having has given me a reprieve!  I will
have time to bring the last of the plants that I want to "save" indoors
this weekend!    I must dig up the cannas and dahlias after the frost
hits them.  It's just too expensive to keep buying the things year after
year.  That goes for my amaryllis as well! Indoors, all of my coleus
cuttings have rooted and need potting up!  There is one hibiscus bush
that I've been growing for years that hardly blooms. I think that I'm
leaving it outside for the winter.  I hate to deliberately kill a plant,
but I have to give the space to plants that live up to their potential.
I also have a five foot high and wide cactus that may just end up
compost.  I just don't have the space for it.  I wish I had known it
would grow so large when I bought it as a baby plant!

Speaking of large things-  Two of my very large tropical fish died
yesterday.  I had tried to treat them, but I really needed a fish
doctor!  One was a nine inch golden sevrum which was one of a pair.  I
feel really sorry for its mate.  I have a six foot long 100 gallon tank
that I have been maintaining for near on 20 years.  Sometimes I feel
really helpless!

The other Chris