Re: Yippee! Starfish is blooming!

Well thanks Jim for that offer, but I'm sure it will bloom next
summer...I just didn't baby it like I SHOULD have. It has more than
doubled it's size this summer...so that is a lot of growth in a short
amount of time. Must have found just the right soil and just the right
light for it. I got my first plant like this from a neighbor when I was
in the seventh grade. She had a greenhouse and I would spend hours over
there watching her garden (started at a young age, huh?) and she would
give me cuttings to take home. I don't think she was sure of my
gardening skills...until I brought the plants back over to her later and
they were doing great. I saw her starfish plant bloom and I was hooked!
Even if it DID smell funny when it bloomed...I thought it was AWESOME

.

james singer <jsinger@igc.org> wrote:
Hope so, Jesse. But, if it doesn't, I'll send you a cutting of the
other one. [I have two--one in mostly sun, one in mostly shade; they
bloom about the same with sun having a slight edge.

On Tuesday, October 5, 2004, at 05:29 PM, Jesse Bell wrote:

> You sent me a cutting of it too Jim. About 2 years ago. I didn't have
> it
> in the right soil or something cause it hardly grew...this spring I
> repotted it and put it on the back porch (shade)...it has REALLY grown.
> Maybe next year I'll get my flower. I love this plant.
>

> Jesse R. Bell
>

> james singer wrote:
> This is one of the most interesting succulent flowers ever, I think.
> Let me re-phrase that. All of the species of this genus that I am
> familiar with are absolutely fantastic when flowering; this particular
> one has likely the largest flower, but if you remember the "lifesaver"
> flower picture Donna posted for me, that's one of this one's smaller
> cousins.
>
> And every time any of ours bloom, we walk around with smiles on our
> faces.
>

> On Monday, October 4, 2004, at 07:20 PM, Andrea H wrote:
>
>> Came home today and my Starfish flower is blooming. Stapigella
>> something? Jim?
>> It's the big one. the flower is about 6-7 inches across. I've been
>> watching
>> the bud all week. It's the neatest thing ever. It does smell a bit
>> though, but
>> it's coolness overcomes that. YAY! Had to share.
>>
>> Andrea H
>> Beaufort, SC

>> http://www.hort.net/funds/
>>

> Island Jim