If winter comes...

Real sign of seasonal change - saw the first junco this morning!
Dodged a bullet on frost last night.  It was predicted, but only got to 37
degrees.  We struggled to get in as many of the big plants as we could handle.
Spread sheets over the others.  I had sworn not to try to bring in the big old
hibuscus bushes another year, but they are full of buds and just beginning to
bloom after being eaten by deer when we first put them out last spring. We
have a man coming at the end of the week to do a bit of work, and he will help
us bring the rest of the things in.  We just can't handle them any more, though
I had a hard time persuading my DH not to try.

This past weekend, youngest son and family flew in from Colorado to see
fall colors.  My son, who left for parts west the next day after he graduated
from college, and has never looked back, says the only things he really
misses are fall colors and Breyer's ice cream.  Now they can get Breyer's
in Colorado.  His wife is from the west and doesn't even like trees, but he
has been longing to show her Northeastern autumn colors.  Of course we
think the hillsides of golden aspens in the Rockies are just stunning, but
he says boorrring!  No accounting for tastes.  It looks as if the weather
will be perfect, and colors are just beginning to turn.  Don't think she will
be converted, however.  She is a licensed engineer, and likes everything
the same size in straight lines.  Oh well, she makes a lot of money.
Auralie