From: Jesse Bell
Sent: 10/6/2004 1:36:26 AM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: Re: [CHAT] Yippee! Starfish is blooming!

OH that....when I went to Bermuda in the 9th grade with my family...I
saw those asparagus ferns growing everywhere...even in the cracks of the
sidewalks! I had never seen them seed before....so when I saw one with
red berries on it, I assumed (correctly) that it was a seed and picked
about four or five of them. My parents said that I could not take
anything like that back to the states...customs wouldn't allow it...and
they go through the luggage. Well....I thought and thought about
it...and opened up my tube of Chapstick and took out the insides and
stuck my seeds down in there. I brought them home and planted them. Took
awhile...but they grew. I had that plant for years and years. (I
know...shame on me....but I was a kid and did not like the
"rules"....and I rationalized "hey, I'm not taking a plant...just a seed
so what's the harm?")

<gardenqueen@academicplanet.com> wrote:
That sounds cool - show that to me when I come up at the end of the
month! Yes you got started young - tell them the asparagus fern seeds in
the Chapstick tube story! Love it.

Pam Evans
Kemp, TX
zone 8A