Re: If winter comes...

I think i would have opted for Conoclinium coelestinum [syn. Eupatorium coelestinum].

On Thursday, October 7, 2004, at 12:19 PM, kmrsy@comcast.net wrote:

Maybe half of it. A lot of it is SOP (seat of pants), experience, logic,
educated guesses. We all know that science is always finding something
new that refutes what they were so sure of before - like the best way to
plant a tree. You used to amend the heck out of the planting hole, but
not anymore. My most recent assignment was to determine the "correct "
botanical name for Hardy Ageratum. Since I'm not privy to the
nomenclature board's latest decisions (which could change next week
anyway), I had to research it and there's not a lot of agreement out
there even among the experts. After weighing the black and white
decisions of certain important references and adjusting for the gray
areas of clues I found in older references, I returned a personal
decision of Conoclinium coelestinum over Eupatorium coelestinum, though
I believe the latter would be acceptable. (See, Jim, I AM flexible!)

Those are instances of gray areas in horticulture, but when I said there's lots of gray, I meant in absolutely everything, including religion (she said, opening up a huge can of worms)

Kitty