Re: In a nut shell--Today's event at the nursery.

Very ancient tree, bridging the angiosperms and gymnosperms. Known only through fossils until discovered growing in a Chinese temple garden early in the last century. Has never been found growing in the wild. Goes through a long awkward "adolescence" before coming into its glory as a mature tree. Clear yellow fall color, and the leaves tend to drop at the same time. Ginkgo seeds are a real delicacy in Asia, but you have to deal with the smelly soft part to get at them. Went to Colonial Williamsburg during ginkgo fruiting season one year...interesting.