Re: RE: In a nut shell--Today's event at the nursery.

  • To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
  • Subject: Re: RE: [CHAT] In a nut shell--Today's event at the nursery.
  • From: "Marge Talt" <mtalt@hort.net>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 15:31:16 -0400

Well, I'm back home (with a cold:-( acquired from mad rush of life
lately...been in AL visiting aging parents.

I have Q. imbricaria - not exactly my favorite oak but I am on the
edge of its range - they are found more in the midwest where you are,
so may be happier there; they get sort of ratty looking here; think
it's climate related.  They are native for me.  Gets 50-60 feet tall
with a rather pyramidal habit - drooping  lower branches that need to
be limbed up if you plan on growing anything under it.  I would start
the limbing when they are young as they have hard wood.  Just did
that to one I have that was trying to eat the driveway and found the
pruning hard work.  Foliage is quite different than the normal oak;
doesn't even look oakish, really.  It's not a real fast grower and is
shorter lived than some other oaks.  This gets to be a BIG tree:-)

Lacebark elm will also get to be a big tree.  I don't have that one;
have some others that are native and find them quite rooty and messy
- always dropping twiggy bits.....so place it where you don't want to
grow a lot under it.  This one is supposed to have really neat bark.

Sugar maples get huge....just how many acres are you planting there,
Donna?:-)  Fall color is super on these guys - as with any maple, it
will be very difficult to grow much under a mature one.  Good
candidate for street side planting:-)

Re: Ginkgos...was doing some research for a small garden I am
designing and ran across one that stays small - sounded really neat.
G. b. 'Chi-Chi'.

http://snipurl.com/9pyl

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
mtalt@hort.net