Re: and while we are discussing my yard.....

I am SO behind here.  Well, if you had not just purchased a forest,
I'da suggested Acer palmatum 'Bloodgood'...one of the best purple
foliage trees as it holds its color well - even in quite a bit of
shade but it also grows in sun.  Gets about 25' tall or so.  These
are not overall fast growers, but grow a bit faster in youth.  Like
you'd need to get one about 7-8' tall to start with, but it would not
end up eating your house.  Graceful, lovely tree.

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
mtalt@hort.net
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
Shadyside Garden Designs