Re: Plants from Gene

Plant Delights's catalog has a peculiar spelling of Helianthus, but that;s a neat looking cultivar. When we went up to the Big City [Sarasota] last weekend, big patches of the native H. angustifolius were blooming along I-75. Striking.

On Friday, October 15, 2004, at 11:49 PM, Kitty wrote:

Congratulations on your successes.

Speaking of plants from Gene, my Monkshood is looking spectacular. The
purple of the blooms is so rich.
Also, My Dwarf Swamp Sunflower, is finally blooming and is as glorious as
the photos show:

I think I'll have to move it to a more special spot next year.

----- Original Message -----
From: <Aplfgcnys@aol.com>
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Friday, October 15, 2004 9:06 PM
Subject: [CHAT] Plants from Gene

Today I received a box of beautiful plants from Gene Bush and the handsome
Pinus mugho mugho arrived. I've been looking at the hole where the old
pine was removed for a couple of months now, so this is a great step
Since it was raining and the temperatures were in the 50s, I didn't hop
to plant everything.  Years ago I would have considered this ideal
weather, but there are too many aches and pains aggravated by damp cold
these days, so I will hope for nicer weather tomorrow or the next day.

Since every planting these days must consider the deer problem, I have
delighted with the results of a new bed I started last year. I filled it
with daffs
to start the season. Somebody - not deer, probably squirrels - dug up a
of the bulbs, but I put them back. This bed is a triangle where our drive
the lane, which is going downhill at that point. The bed is fairly small,
but built
up with stones so that it is about two feet above ground at one end. It
about the only sunny bed I have, but being right on the lane it is totally
exposed to Bambi. We put in a prostrate juniper among the daffs last
it suffered quite a bit of winter damage. Looks better at the end of the
but wasn't great earlier. I added the things that have been
deer-resistant in
other areas, but not everything worked. The various pulmonarias that have

survived elsewhere were eaten right down. The epimediums were not eaten,
but were pulled out of the ground repeatedly. However some things did work
very well. Liriope has done very well along the edge. Two Santolina
have survived without damage. A couple of Ruta graveolens look pretty
But the real star is Artemisia 'Powis Castle.'   It has produduced the
lushest growth I have ever seen this plant make.  I guess it likes the
dry spot. Anyway, for what it's worth - this one seems to be as
as anything I have ever grown.

Island Jim
Southwest Florida
27.0 N, 82.4 W