From: Aplfgcnys@aol.com
Sent: 10/15/2004 9:06:57 PM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: [CHAT] Plants from Gene

Today I received a box of beautiful plants from Gene Bush and the handsome
Pinus mugho mugho arrived.  I've been looking at the hole where the old Mugho
pine was removed for a couple of months now, so this is a great step forward.
Since it was raining and the temperatures were in the 50s, I didn't hop right
to plant everything.  Years ago I would have considered this ideal planting
weather, but there are too many aches and pains aggravated by damp cold
these days, so I will hope for nicer weather tomorrow or the next day.

Since every planting these days must consider the deer problem, I have been
delighted with the results of a new bed I started last year.  I filled it
with daffs
to start the season.  Somebody - not deer, probably squirrels - dug up a few
of the bulbs, but I put them back.  This bed is a triangle where our drive
the lane, which is going downhill at that point.  The bed is fairly small,
but built
up with stones so that it is about two feet above ground at one end.  It is
about the only sunny bed I have, but being right on the lane it is totally
exposed to Bambi.  We put in a prostrate juniper among the daffs last fall,
it suffered quite a bit of winter damage.  Looks better at the end of the
but wasn't great earlier.  I added the things that have been deer-resistant in
other areas, but not everything worked.  The various pulmonarias that have
survived elsewhere were eaten right down.  The epimediums were not eaten,
but were pulled out of the ground repeatedly. However some things did work
very well.  Liriope has done very well along the edge.  Two Santolina
have survived without damage.  A couple of Ruta graveolens look pretty good.
But the real star is Artemisia 'Powis Castle.'   It has produduced the
lushest growth I have ever seen this plant make.  I guess it likes the sunny,
dry spot.  Anyway, for what it's worth - this one seems to be as deer-proof
as anything I have ever grown.