Re: bringing the yard inside/ oil & gas

Hello Tricia,
There are exact measurements for all these terms, but then it comes down to what is going on locally. When I stack what is delivered I get a 4 foot high by 8 foot long stack at about 16 inches or so long. That is because I requested 16 inches in length to fit my stove opening. Before I got this stove about a year ago I used up to 2 feet in length. As it just so happens a full load in a pick up bed works out to about a face rick, so I get a pickup load from my regular deliver man. Sometimes that is a bit over when stacked. Wood is split before delivery. Most of the wood that gets delivered is from the tops of trees that were cut for lumber, left laying on the forest floor. Now quite a bit is from hurricane damage in the area, but that wood is still too green for this year to burn.
There is such a feeling of contentment that goes with having all the wood stacked out here ready for winter.
Gene E. Bush
Munchkin Nursery & Gardens, llc
www.munchkinnursery.com
genebush@munchkinnursery.com
Zone 6/5 Southern Indiana

----- Original Message ----- From: "pdickson" <pdickson@sbcglobal.net>
I just looked up what is a cord of wood on woodburning.org and it says a
cord of wood is 4 feet deep by 4 feet high by 8 feet long.
A face cord of cordwood, split or unsplit and stacked should measure 4 feet
high by 8 feet long.
It has a neat little example that shows stacks of wood.
The first stack is a Full Cord. Logs 12 inches long.
4 x 8 units 4 times.
Logs 16 inches long.
4 x 8 units 3 times.

Logs 18 inches long.
4 x 8 units 2.7 times

Logs 20 inches long. 4 x 8 units 2.4 times. Logs 24 inches long. 4 x 8 units 2 times. Face Cord. A face cord measures 4 feet x 8 feet regardless of the length of the logs. It also talks about what kind of wood burns the best. Probably more than you want to know but I found it interesting. Tricia