From: Bonnie & Bill Morgan
Sent: 10/17/2004 2:49:26 PM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: RE: RE: [CHAT] more on wood

Pam, when we had to cut a spot for the house on our lot, we had to cut
several wild cherry trees.  It about broke our heart, so we started looking
for sawmills to get some boards from the wood that it might be used more
appropriately, but no one would take wood from a suburban lot to mill.  They
said there would be too much danger of a nail in the lumber to damage their
equipment.  We could only let it sit so long as we hunted for someone to
mill it for us and finally used small pieces in the fire place until the
larger pieces began to deteriorate and then we used them too.  We have one
trunk piece we have stored now for 10 years.  We hope some day to find a way
to use it.  (I want to learn wood carving and have a go at making something
of the cherry after I get the procedure honed a bit.)

Blessings,
Bonnie (SW OH - zone 5)