Re: Heating the indoors, the yard outside,too...and aquestion...

  • To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
  • Subject: Re: [CHAT]Heating the indoors, the yard outside,too...and aquestion...
  • From: "Marge Talt" <mtalt@hort.net>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 02:37:12 -0400

Well, y'know, Auralie, that never actually occurred to me, so it's a
good thing you said it:-)  I don't have many conifers on account of
all the shade, so have not spent a lot of time reading up on them and
'dwarf' has always meant smaller to me, not just slower
growing....learn something new every day:-)

I'm not so frustrated as concerned since my guys are so lovely I
don't want to screw up their form, but they are totally eating those
front steps so I have got to get after them.  Have had this on my
list all year and no time for more than a few snips....they seem to
like the snipping and respond with faster growth!!

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
mtalt@hort.net
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
Shadyside Garden Designs
Current Article: Corydalis

----------
> From: Aplfgcnys@aol.com
>
> Marge, as I'm sure you don't need me to tell you, dwarf in these
plants
> refers to rate of growth rather than ultimate size.  The definition
I have been
> given is a growth-rate of 3-6" a year.  The Mugho pine we just had
to remove had
> been there for 34 years, and despite my pruning, had reached 10
feet in each
> dimension, which is just about on target.It sounds as if yours has
grown a bit
> faster than that - 28 years shouldn't be more than 14 feet plus the
original
> 30" - 2 /12 feet more makes 16 1/2 feet,  That's still pretty big.
Isn't it