Re: So...

Sounds, Jim, like you are developing an actual plantation - or maybe
I should say arboretum:-)

I was not huddled by the furnace.  It was about 60ish today with sun
(first time I've seen that in a while), so got self out and dug about
200 Ajuga for a job.  Was looking for larger plants than were growing
in the gravel drive and went out to my old veggie garden and realized
that I had intended to get this Japanese holly out of the coldframe
and plant it this fall and it is NOW this fall...so did that.

Not such a simple job as it meant removing more of the old wire fence
around the garden and spending about 2 hours trying to get the
plant(s) out of the cold frame.  So many years ago I do not remember
when, I put 2 quart pots of Ilex crenata and one 4" pot of Jasmine
nudiflorum in that frame, which is concrete block in the ground with
a sand fill.

Well, both of the Ilex are now as tall as I am and the Jasmine was
growing up through them.  They had grown through the pots which were
a bitch to cut off the roots when I finally got them out of the
frame...some bits are still attached.  I should know better, I really
should!

It was a struggle, but they are out of the frame and in the ground
with the admonition that this was in lieu of the compost heap so
they'd better durn well grow.

Then I went into the garage and cleaned up about 90 of those Ajuga
and filled one box with them...got about the same number to go but
got pretty cold and had to go cook, so the rest of them will just
have to sit there and wait for another day.

So, that's what I did in the garden today:-)

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
mtalt@hort.net
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
Shadyside Garden Designs