Re: who ever happens to be on line at the moment...now p-coat...

Kitty you are a font of knowledge. I had a pea coat years ago- wore it until it disintegrated. I loved that coat- mine was wool too!

Theresa

kmrsy@comcast.net wrote:

Pea Coat
The heavy topcoat worn in cold, miserable weather by seafaring men was
once tailored from pilot cloth  a heavy, course, stout kind of twilled
blue cloth with the nap on one side. The cloth was sometimes called
P-cloth for the initial letter of "pilot" and the garment made from it
was called a p-jacket  later, a pea coat. The term has been used since
1723 to denote coats made from that cloth.

Mine was made of wool, though. Kitty

Pea coat? You gotta pea coat? 'Smokes, I had one in high school [army-navy store] when they were part of the required teen uniform, and then a new one when I went off to protect lighthouses and such from North Korean terrorists. Great double-breasted winter coat. Got any idea why it's "pea" coat?