Oleander standard

So far, I have two, Pam. A white one in the ground and a blood red one in a 15-gallon pot. I start with a tip cutting about 6 inches long, remove the leaves from the bottom three or four nodes, dip it in RooTone, and stick it in vermiculite deep enough to cover the bare nodes. When they are well rooted [6 weeks or so], I plant them in 1-gallon pots and stake them so they will grow straight. From then on, it's pretty much maintenance. As it grows, I increase the pot size and the stake size, nip off any side branches. When it gets to be about 4 to 5 feet tall, the stem will sort of peter out and split into a head of several branches. Then it's just a matter of pruning those branches to form the head you want. It takes awhile, but it's easy.

On Wednesday, October 27, 2004, at 08:43 PM, "" <gardenqueen@academicplanet.com> wrote:

You can grow oleanders as standards? Tell me more please!

Pam Evans
Kemp, TX
zone 8A
----- Original Message -----
From: james singer
Sent: 10/27/2004 6:21:46 PM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: [CHAT] Next weekend

I began scheduling my time for next weekend today. I picked up 7-gallon
pots [for the baby fig trees], 3-gallon pots [for the hong kong orchid
tree seedlings and oleander standard cuttings], and 1-gallon pots for
the phalsa and kwai muk seedlings that are just coming up in the seed
beds. But Saturday is the Breeders' Cup, so most of that afternoon will
be wasted as I indulge my weakness for thoroughbred horse racing. And
Sunday night is Hallowe'en, during which I'll be firing my shotgun over
the heads of all manner of urban terrorists and goblins. So... not much
time between and around those events. Hope I can get it all done ;>)

Island Jim Southwest Florida 27.0 N, 82.4 W Zone 10a Minimum 30 F [-1 C]

http://www.hort.net/funds/

http://www.hort.net/funds/

Island Jim
Southwest Florida