Re: who ever happens to be on line at the moment...nowp-coat...

Yeah. LL Bean is the only place I buy clothes anymore. Just got a batch of chambray shirts and cargo shorts from them. When I drove out to Lance aux Meadows, Newfoundland, some years ago, I got to Maine in early afternoon and crashed in a motel; I awoke about 11 PM and again hit the road--only to stop at LL Bean, roam the aisles, and buy a pair of heavy-duty cords for the Newfoundland experience [not sorry for that, believe me; it was June and there were still icebergs in the St Lawrence]. Neat store; had great oak plank flooring.

On Friday, October 29, 2004, at 07:11 AM, "" <gardenqueen@academicplanet.com> wrote:

Mine's 25 years old and going strong. Missing a few buttons, but
otherwise sound. L.L. Bean man - good stuff. Had some of their
turtlenecks for 20 years and they're still serviceable if a tad snug....

Pam Evans
Kemp, TX
zone 8A
----- Original Message -----
From: Theresa
Sent: 10/28/2004 9:05:38 PM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] who ever happens to be on line at the moment...nowp-coat...

Kitty you are a font of knowledge. I had a pea coat years ago- wore it
until it disintegrated. I loved that coat- mine was wool too!

Theresa

kmrsy@comcast.net wrote:

Pea Coat
The heavy topcoat worn in cold, miserable weather by seafaring men was
once tailored from pilot cloth  a heavy, course, stout kind of twilled
blue cloth with the nap on one side. The cloth was sometimes called
P-cloth for the initial letter of "pilot" and the garment made from it
was called a p-jacket  later, a pea coat. The term has been used since
1723 to denote coats made from that cloth.

Mine was made of wool, though. Kitty

Pea coat? You gotta pea coat? 'Smokes, I had one in high school
[army-navy store] when they were part of the required teen uniform, and
then a new one when I went off to protect lighthouses and such from
North Korean terrorists. Great double-breasted winter coat. Got any
idea why it's "pea" coat?

On Thursday, October 28, 2004, at 12:34 PM, ""