Question about cuphea

One of my friends grows a lovely border of cuphea hyssopifolia by her
sidewalk in a Southern exposure but each year she has to replace it. Is
there anyway she can protect this plant in Zone 7...usually gets a lot
of winter rain and some heavy frosts...by covering it? My Southern
Living Garden Book says it will die to the ground in cold weather and
that it is evergreen where there is little or no frost and it is easy to
grow from cuttings. I'm wondering if she lets it dye back and covers the
plants with some straw or mulch, the roots might survive and grow again
next year.

Bonnie Zone 7 ETN