Re: gardenchat DIGEST V1 #1570

There have been evacuation routes set in place for years and years.  I  live
just off Hwy 6 South which is one of the evacuation routes from the south  to
points NW and West.  There are permanent signs posted all along the  highway
indicating it as such that have been here since before I moved  here.

I don't think the topography had as much to do with it as the construction
on the freeways.  Our Governor is in overdrive when it comes to
construction...but that is another story.  Traffic in the city of Houston  is always
bad....even when it is not rush hour.  When we first moved to  Houston....drove from
Calif. to Houston, it took us longer to get from the  outskirts of Houston to
the center (just on I-10) than it did from San  Antonio.  We finally gave up
and got a hotel room till the next  morning.  This was in 1988.  Right now most
of I-10 is shut down in  parts, sometimes completely, as they are expanding
it from a 8 lane freeway to  12.  Also going west on I-10 to San Antonio there
are sections where it is  down to one lane (around Columbus for instance) due
to construction.  From  what I hear there are several locations such as this
going north as well on I-45  to Dallas.

When one considers that 2.5 million people were in the area with mandatory
evacuation, which didn't include the actual city of Houston, only the cities
south (Galveston, Kemah, Clear Lake, etc.) And then add the 5 million plus
people that live in the city of Houston, and then all those in neighboring areas
outside of Houston (such as mine)  that were under voluntary
evacuation....put them all in one or multiple vehicles.....all heading north or
west.....it's no wonder there was congestion.  No doubt there would be  conjestion in the
city, since there always is.  We live on the southwest  side a little over 20
miles from downtown Houston....I always calculate a  good 45 minutes to an
hour to get to downtown......no matter what time of  day.  Wed. morning it took
my DH almost 3 hours to get downtown.   Everyone familiar with Houston expected
traffic inside Houston, I think it  was outside Houston where the surprise
came.  There was literally a traffic  jam from here to inside San Antonio which
is a 200 mile stretch.  I heard  similar or worse situations going north.

To top it off, the mayor of Houston asked days in advance for Tx.DoT   to
open the contra lanes for the evacuation, but for whatever reason Tx.  DoT didn't
comply until Friday.  Also, assistance was requested as soon as  they saw
that the lack of gasoline and water on the roadways was a  problem.  The city of
Houston was told that the National Guard was on their  way with tankers full
of gasoline and trucks full of water.  Nobody told  anyone though, that the
National Guard had to report from Louisiana to Austin  first for their orders and
then go back.  I saw it on TV as the convoys of  Nat. Guard troops were stuck
in traffic.  The cheers in the studios that  finally help was coming....and
then the utter shock when they didn't give any  assistance.  The newsreporters
went up to the trucks and asked them why  they weren't helping....they were
told to report to Austin first, since that was  the FEMA and Nat. Guard staging
area for Hurricane Rita.....they were to get out  of harms way first, then go
back to help after the storm.

My heart goes out to all those that were stuck in traffic.  I dont'  think I
could have handled it, although I've spoken to many that said they were
unbelievably calm at the time.....not sure if it was the heat, being used to
standing in Houston traffic, or the determination to get out of harms  way.  I
supposed one would have to go through the experience to know,  doesn't take much
imagination to know that it would not be pleasant to be at a  stand still in
100+ degree heat for hours and hours....and all the poor animals  too.

There were a lot of things that went wrong.  I think everyone learned  from
this experience, as they did from the Hurricane Katrina.  Many cities,
including Los Angeles reported that they didn't even have an evacuation plan,  much
less a plan for how to evacuate that many people.
I think any large city would have been in the same boat if they  had to
evacuate that many.  We were all fortunate that Rita was not as  devastating as it
could have been.....and hopefully we can all learn from it for  the next time,
when it might just be a worse situation.  Heaven  forbid.

Noreen
zone 9
Texas Gulf Coast

In a message dated 10/4/2005 1:54:40 PM Central Standard Time,