Re: Snake, now lizard

Are they the ones that change color (from green to brown and back) depending on the color of their surroundings? They range from Key West at least to Hattiesburg, MS. If that's the kind, they are totally harmless, easily hypnotized, and make great earrings. The old people in Key West do, however, say that it's not good for a cat to eat a lot of them.

zem
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Thursday, October 06, 2005 5:04 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Snake, now lizard

Hmm, well these are not bright green, kind of a light medium green. But
they're not geckos which I have had here for years.
More slender, narrow pointier heads, and really long tails. I like 'em
regardless. I really do need to figure out what they are so I can call TX
Parks & Wildlife to make sure they aren't poisonous, because I know Sugar
will catch one and eat it, despite my vigilance.

I've seen bright green ones, Pam, but they are rare. Most are in the
brown range, from very light tan to chocolate. Some have stripes,
others do not. It is common to see a medium brown one with a blond
stripe down its spine, and vice versa coloring is common also. One of
my favorites lives in an area we call the "nursery"--it [a male, I
think] is very dark, almost black. But his wattle, or whatever that
skin is called that they flash to attract mates or warn enemies, is
bright red.

Slender with long tails is a good description, Pam. Tail is at least
half their total length.

Most of the anoles in Florida are descendants of Cuban anoles, who were
probably blown over here in a hurricane or tropical storm a few 100
years ago. They have nearly replaced the native anoles, although I've
been told by those who study such things that the natives can still be
found.

But, native or Cuban, they're all welcome here. And lots of fun to
watch. They make no sound whatsoever; they communicate entirely by
flashing that waddle-thing, bobbing their head and front shoulders up
and down, and using other little body language tics and jerks.

I've only seen one fight between two of them, which is kind of amazing
given what appears to be nearly full-time mating solicitation behavior.
I've seen several matings--which are excruciatingly slow to consummate
[kind of like teenagers on a second date]--and which seem very
ceremonial, like a Noh play, with rituals I haven't been able to figure
out. I also have not been able to figure out why one male seems to be
successful and another not. But I'm not much good at figuring that out
about humans, either :>)

On Oct 4, 2005, at 9:32 PM, Pam Evans wrote:

> Are anoles green, Jim? Real slender w/ long tails? I think I have some
> now!
> Love it, especially if they eat skeeters! I assume they hibernate when
> it
> gets cold like my geckos seem to?

Island Jim
Southwest Florida