Re: germination temps was: hum....

> From: Christopher P. Lindsey <lindsey@mallorn.com>
> Of course, some are waiting until spring like Nyssa sylvatica.
They need
> that constant 41F and are going to spend the winter in moist sand
in my
> fridge.  :)

Curious about the "constant" 41F as I have 2 wild - one about 20'
tall and the other about 12' tall (babies) in my woods and I am sure
that any seed that dropped to make those trees didn't get a constant
germination temp.  Am always curious about absolutes in seed
germination instructions:-)  Ma Nature knows no absolutes :-)

Woulda thought oscillating temps - like normal winter - would be
better.  But, have not tried growing this from seed.

BTW, FWIW, when I did my A. pavia, I put about 10 seeds in a 3 gal
pot and buried it for the winter up to the top with wire over the top
to keep out the critters.  Had almost 100% germination and just
(gently) dumped the pot to separate them as they started germinating.
 They are tap rooted, but the root was still short - like those seeds
are so huge that the top and root growth are about the same when the
seedling is about 3"long.  Sort of came out of the mix in a little
compact bundle.