Re: everybody outside today?

Cyndi, your garden sounds so much more productive than mine has been
this summer, but then our drought hasn't helped a bit.  The rain this weekend
is the first really good rain we have had since early June, and this year I
have
just not been able to carry water - nor can we use the hose in a drought for
fear of problems with the well.
What has been good until just the last few days before the rains came has
been beans.  I have had really good beans since early July.  The tomatoes
have been so-so.  All the leafy things - lettuces and mustards - pooped out
very early.  Squashes were doing pretty well until a couple of weeks ago
when they just dried up.  Cucumbers were only about half the usual size,
which I also attribute to the drought.  Peppers never really got a start this
year.  Some okra, but we never get a big crop up here.  But beans, we have
had in profusion.
What I did harvest this weekend was the quinces from my flowering quince
bushes.  This is the first year in several that they have done well, but this
year was a good crop, and I now have eight glasses of very pretty jelly.
One of the quinces is grown from a seed I filched from the botanical garden
in San Francisco in the late 1960s.  It has a stunningly brilliant blossom,
and
new foliage is usually red until it unfurls fully.  The other is a rather
ordinary
'Japanese' quince with pink flowers - pretty but not in any way exceptional.
The jelly made from their fruit has a rather delicate, but quite tart flavor.
We
like it both on toast and as a glaze for roast ham.

I am extremely grateful for the rain that is lingering to refill the pond and
soak
the ground for my trees and shrubs before the winter sets in.  It was so dry
until the rain began on Saturday that things were looking awful.  I had
intended to get out and start fall cleanup even though there has been no
really cool weather.  We had hoped our son would be down from upstate
to bring us a load of firewood and help with getting houseplants in before
frost.  Because of the rains, he didn't come (not really surprising - that son
has never been very dependable or predictable).  Now we will have to figure
out some other way to get big plants in.  There are three very large hibiscus
and several other large containers that we are just not able to handle any
more.
We will either find someone to hire to help us, or just have to give up on
some
of them.  Of course I have been threatening to do that for several years now
-
maybe now's the time.
Auralie

In a message dated 10/11/2005 11:55:47 AM Eastern Daylight Time,