Re: germination temps was: hum....

More or less true, Kitty:-)  I tend to think more in line of 'my
experience shows'  or 'in my experience' rather than 'instructions'
and appreciate receiving advice like that.  Seems to me that every
gardener knows the ''right" way to do something...and for them, it
might be, but for others the mileage can vary considerably.

Even instructions for optimum germination often don't produce it as
they may (like many of Deno's) have been developed under conditions
that are hard to obtain outside a lab, or in his case, in furtherance
of specific experiments he was making.  Key to seed germination, IMO,
is trying to figure out how Ma Nature would do it and duplicate those
conditions because that is what the seed is programmed to deal with.

Of course, in nature considerably more seed is sown than ever
germinates because of the vagaries of where it falls and who eats it.
 Controlled conditions can generally produce higher germination
levels.

There are some plants that don't take to transplanting well and those
often work better sown 'in situ'...but, then, you need to sow more
and deal with the critters that munch on them and all the other
variables outside.

And, there's always that unwritten rule that says that germination is
in direct proportion to how rare and desirable that seed is...the
rarer and more desirable; the lower percentage of germination - no
matter WHAT we mere mortals do:-)

Over the years on Alpine-L, a lot of bandwidth has been used in
discussions of how to germinate this or that seed - well, that also
happens on lists devoted to specific plants or genera.  Often the
information is conflicting, but it is based on personal experience,
which I value more highly than anything written in a book by anybody,
actually.  That's one of the most marvelous of the marvels of our
cyber age - the ability to find out first hand what experience others
have had trying to do something you're trying to do...with the
ability to judge from their location and other factors,  just how
seriously to take their solutions...

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
mtalt@hort.net
Editor:  Gardening in Shade, Suite101.com
Shadyside Garden Designs