Re: coffee grounds vs. slugs

It may be more acidic before brewing than after--certainly has more caffeine. Some people say coffee grounds smell bad as they decay.

On Oct 12, 2005, at 4:19 PM, Libby Valentine wrote:

I drink tea not coffee, but I trash-picked a carton of expired-date
coffee machine packets from work some months ago. Haven't done anything
with them because everything I've seen references coffee grounds (after
brewing) and never ground coffee (before brewing). I need to clean up
that space and use them. Any opinions on using the coffee (as mulch,
soil additive, fodder for the compost pile, etc., etc.)? Can it do harm?
I'm inclined to think not, but ...

Libby
Maryland zone 6

Only what I've been told by others, which makes it... um... not very
reliable. The only plant I mulch with coffee grounds in miracle fruit,
and it has no slugs. But I don't know if it would have slugs if I did
not mulch it.