After complaining about the drought and heat and having to drag hoses around
all summer just to try to keep things barely alive, Im now going to
complain about all the RAIN!  I swore that I would really get my garden in
tip top shape this fall. I just ordered bulbs and theyll need to get
planted. All the annuals in containers need to be either dragged indoors or
need to be propagated by cuttings. Then theres the humungous mound of mulch
that needs to go on one of the paths in the shade garden, but first I have
to uncover the path as it is full of columbine, Eupatorium Chocolate and
periwinkle (among other things too numerous to list)!  Of course theres
still about a pallet of stone to move as well.  I just hope that we see the
sun before winter sets in!

Last night we had torrential rain and wind!  Driving to my chorus rehearsal
I had to go through some small lakes and had to drive under a fallen tree.
If the tide got six feet closer, we would have to go out and secure our
catamarans and kayaks which are as far from the water as possible without
having to lift them over the 4'hedges onto the lawn!  They are my husband
and son's toys and I've warned them to tie the boats down! We could probably
kayak in some of the pools forming on the grass though!  Our water table is
just about eight feet blow the surface, so there's nowhere for the excess
water to go. My umbrellas and patio pots are toppled over again and it's
still pouring!

Christine Petersen   Northport, Long Island, New York

Zone 7a (Average min temp 50 - 00)