Re: RAIN

We're not all that far north of Chris Peterson - about 40 miles up the Hudson
frpm Manhattan. It has been raining steadily for the past 48 hours and is
supposed to continue for another day at least.  It is welcome here because
we had been in a serious drought situation, Now trees and shrubs can go
into the winter in much better condition.  It's too late to help a lot of
things,
but I was seriously concerned about evergreens and rhododendron.
Still, I would be glad to have a break in the clouds.  Such dark clouds for
so long a time gets depressing.
I'm sorry to hear about the flooding problems others are having.  We won't
have any problem here because we are high on a ridge a few miles in
from the Hudson.  The pond at the bottom of our back slope is filling up -
it had been down almost to a mudhole, but when it is full it runs off into
a stream that eventually reaches the river.  Our only problems in this
area will come from fallen trees if there are high winds - which haven't
happened so far.  We are sure to have power outages in that case.
However... the #$^& idiot who built his house just below the road that
runs up the ridge into our small community is having fits.  He wants to
sue the neighborhood because runoff from the road floods his basement.
Hello!  He built the house there about eight years ago.  The road has been
there since the 1940s. It turns out that when he built the house he didn't
get the required drainage studies, so he has put himself in more trouble
than us.  I could feel sorry for him if he hadn't been so nasty about the
whole business.
Wish we could send Pam some of this rain - I'd be glad to share at this
point.
Stay dry.  Auralie

In a message dated 10/13/2005 2:03:23 PM Eastern Daylight Time,