Re: germination temps was: hum....

Today I see much more black and white thinking than I did growing up. In
the Catholic Church in that time before the Vatican councils that
started everyone shaking hands, in my parish we were taught some
important basics of examination of conscience. "It's only a sin if you
believe it's a sin." You were forced to think and to value thought
processes. Taking this a step further, it is actually a sin NOT to think
things through; it is a sin to blindly follow. They don't teach it that
way anymore I guess. I recently had a little run-in on this with my
cousin who joined the seminary a couple of years ago.

But I'm sure different religions or even the same religion in different
regions taught things in their own way. There is also something ot be
said for perspective. My two sisters and I were taught the same things
but each of us had a different "take" on some things.

Today many people are walking around saying and believing that if you
don't do a certain thing, you will be banned from entering heaven. We
were taught that if you firmly believed what you believed and followed
your conscience, you would attain heaven one day (purgatory not
withstanding) This meant everyone was welcome in God's house, Buddhists,
Muslims, Jews, Baptists, so long as they were true to their beliefs.
This makes sense to me.

-- "Gene Bush" <genebush@otherside.com> wrote:
Hello Kitty,
    I may be just a few years older than you.... also perhaps different
background...... I can clearly remember church getting very upset about
situational ethics coming into vogue. That one was fought tooth and nail by
the powers that be... if not clear right and wrong, everything is a "yes,
but..." then sin will soon disappear for no one will be responsible for
their own behavior. If no sin, then no shame, lack of self control...
morals. "Sin is like butter on bread.. if you spread it around thin enough
no one will be able to taste it." Paraphrase for Menninger, I believe.
    But, here we are and no one even thinks of the changes any more.
What color is the middle ground between black and white... grey, I wonder?
    Gene E. Bush
Munchkin Nursery & Gardens, llc
Zone 6/5  Southern Indiana