Re: coffee grounds vs. slugs

> From: Libby Valentine <grdner03@yahoo.com>
>
>Any opinions on using the coffee (as mulch,
> soil additive, fodder for the compost pile, etc., etc.)? Can it do
harm?
> I'm inclined to think not, but ...
----------

Great in all situations mentioned tho' piles tend to go moldy.   They
are basically acidic so I wouldn't use them fresh around lime lovers,
but all organic stuff goes neutral when it decomposes, in my
experience (except peat).

I must say I agree with Jim.  All the tested data I've found
indicates that the concentration of caffeine needed to kill slugs is
extraordinarily higher than would be found in coffee grounds - even
espresso.  I've read lots of posts saying they work, but when I've
tried them, I have seen no appreciable reduction in slug damage nor
activity...they're good for the soil, tho'.

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
mtalt@hort.net
Editor:  Gardening in Shade, Suite101.com
Shadyside Garden Designs