To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Thursday, October 20, 2005 6:13 AM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] is hort--now garlic

Well, I just (out of ignorance) popped the cloves into the ground.
Guess I'll just have to see if I get anything. What varieties do you
plant? Hard or soft neck?

Cathy, west central IL, z5b

On Oct 19, 2005, at 7:12 PM, Rich Apking wrote:

Hi Jim,

The baking soda water is to loosen the clove covers, and the
alcohol will
help protect the garlic and the garden soil from pathogens.  At
least that's
the theory; I've done that for the past 3 years and my garlic has
been quite
nice.  Nice enough to take a blue ribbon at the fair!  speaking aof
fair,
fare well in the upcoming storm Jim, do everything to stay safe.
I'd still
like to hear from you next week.