Re: Happy birthday Marge + a bit of catch up

Many thanks, dear friends, for your good wishes.  Yes, Ceres, I'm one
of the wishy-washy Libras:-)  (we tend to see both sides of any
issue, making it difficult to come down strong in any direction...)

Today was much like all of them...early meeting and chugging along at
mach speed the rest of the day until I sort of gave out - actually
fell asleep around 7PM and woke at 9 to scramble some dinner and deal
with what I should have done earlier and now I'm wide awake again:-)

Some lovely flowers arrived - I do like getting flowers as I can
hardly bear to cut those in the garden.  "Kids" will come tomorrow
(yikes!  tonight) and cook dinner for me as DH can't get out easily
anymore and that will be nice.

In spare time, have been washing windows preparatory to getting all
the tropical and tender stuff in the house as the weather has cooled
more than they like.  Poor things are all squashed together in the
office foyer on plastic.  Almost there.  Then need to clean out the
greenhouse and garage so I can start digging the stuff that lives
there for winter and hauling in the potted hardy and semi-hardy stuff
that needs to winter under cover.

Of course, my big Brugmansias are on the brink of another grand flush
of bloom - they always do this just before I have to dig and cut them
back and it's so hard to cut off those big flowers and buds.  If
anybody wants some Brugmansia cuttings, let me know....I have white
(suaveolens), x 'Charles Grimaldi (yellow turning to apricot) and a
pink that may be 'Frosty Pink'.  I hate to throw out all that good
cutting material but just don't have room for a dozen 2 gal. pots of
brugs in the greenhouse.  Send me a private email with your mailing
address - don't post that to the list - and what you'd like.  I'll
send bare cutting stems which will root in a glass or vase of water
in a few weeks.  They then need good light and temps that don't get
much below 45F (60-65 is ideal) and will grow on and should bloom
next summer tho' it may be latish in the year.  The pink one seems to
bloom as a smaller plant than Chas. G.

My garden is NOT in the best shape its ever been in - have not had
time to do the necessary this year season which seems to have
vanished overnight as the last I remember it was June:-)

All your good wishes remind me of those of you who have had birthdays
over the last few months and did not receive a greeting from me.
Many apologies to you all.  You got them mentally as I saw the posts
whip by as they downloaded...just did not get there to actually GIVE
them.

I still have some 2000 chat messages unread on my chat folder and
hope that I'll get time to at least scan thru' so I can catch up on
what's been happening while I've been in outer space.

Pam, I finally think I've got earthlink to let me see your posts.
For some reason, they'd put gmail in a restrict that domain slot, so
I said do not restrict and you're coming through on the list again
for me.  Sounds like your work is rivaling mine!  Hope you have a
safe trip to and from Jesse's; know you'll have a grand time.

Jim, I worry about you guys and this latest hurricane.  Hope you and
the hacienda come thru' it OK - but please do head to safety if it
looks like heading your way!

Thank you again, everybody, for the good wishes....even tho' I have
not been able to join in the chat much lately, I think of you all as
extended family:-)

Marge - who is feeling her age these days:-)

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
mtalt@hort.net
Editor:  Gardening in Shade, Suite101.com
Shadyside Garden Designs